Sener will participate in the Kincardine floating marine wind farm under development by Cobra in Scotland. The organization will be in charge of the entire process of the Cobra´s project under execution: from the supervision of the floating platforms manufacture to the technical feasibility analysis of the assembly of wind turbines, through the provision of technical assistance in the plant monitoring.
It is a Cobra project comprising the engineering, supply, construction and commissioning of a floating marine wind farm with a nominal power of 50 MW. The park located 15 km off the coast of Aberdeen in Scotland, consists of one Vestas turbine of 2MW and 5 Vestas turbines of 9.5 MW and is expected to be operational in 2020, thus becoming the world´s largest offshore floating wind farm.
Collaboration with a determination of continuity
Miguel Domingo director of Renewables at Sener has welcome the joint work of both companies as an opportunity in which “Cobra and Sener seek to work on reducing costs for future floating wind farms, as we consider that this configuration is the most appropriate for any location with good wind resource and where the depth does not allow a conventional foundation”.
An investment of 450 million euros
Cobra owns 90% of an offshore wind project off the Scottish coast of Aberdeen. Various Scottish partners own the remaining 10% of the park. In this project, Cobra intends to invest 450 million euros.
The Kincardine wind farm has a guaranteed rate of 3.5 ROCs (Renewable Obligation Certificates) that equal 190 euros per MWh and will comprise 50 MW in 2020.
In addition to this project in the North Sea, Cobra also owns a wind floating development in Taiwan with a capacity to develop up to 2,500 MW over the next eight years. If the Taiwanese project were to be carried out, the ACS subsidiary would generate work value exceeding 10 billion euros.